Rabu, 13 Mei 2015

Fresh Cuts - The Barber Shop an Interview with Adi Purta


What comes around goes around they say in Fashion. Today we have seen the return and popularity rise for old fashioned style barber shops for men. 

Canberra has seen a fair few stores pop up offering traditional shaves and barber cuts for men and boys. One salon that caught my eye was the Barber Shop in Braddon at the Hamlet.

I was introduced to the owner, Adi Purta through a mutual friend after style stalking him for Out in Canberra. I stopped by for a visit on a busy Saturday watching him do his thing and realized this kid knows his sh*t. I could see that he has a passion and natural flair for his craft.



This is what Adi had to say when I interviewed him.

Deejay: How and why did you become a barber?
Adi: I always loved hair styles when I was young. But growing up I never wanted or thought to be a barber. I started cutting hair when I was 13, cutting my brother’s, family and my friends. I always did it as a hobby until a couple years ago when I started working in a barbershop part time. From this I excelled in the craft and before I knew it I was head barber at another shop and then I had my joint.  

Deejay:  What can your clients expect to experience when they come see you?
Adi: Clients can expect the hospitality and comfort as if they were in my own home. I aim to create the same feelings as I grew up cutting my brothers and families hair in my bathroom/garage. A chilled relaxed vibe where you can talk about anything. And of course you will walk out with a great haircut.

Deejay: Who is your ideal client?
Adi: (laughing) Anyone that sits in my chair

Deejay: If you could style anyone’s hair who would it be?
Adi: No one in particular. I'm pretty bad like that even when sports stars sit in my chair half the time I don't know who they are. I’m just focused I the job and hope they like the cut. 

Deejay: Who is in your team at the Barber Shop?
Adi: For the moment it is just me cutting but my cousins is being trained up. My wife, son, brother and  family make up my team which I am grateful for. 

Deejay: What hair styling advice can you give to our male readers?
Adi: Go with a haircut where your hair will fall naturally or short with a clean fade on the side.  Blow dry your hair get that volume out, run some matt clay wax through your head with fingers and then spray some hair lacquer for hold and natural shine. 


Deejay: As a industry expert, what are the trends for mens hair this winter? 
The trends are now going back to traditional cuts. Think comb overs, pomps, quiffs etc it's kind of  gone back to the 1930-1950 styles some with a modern twist. 

The classic comb over (Image from the Barber Shops Instagram) 

Fade done right by Adi (image from the Barber Shops Instagram) 

One of Adi's youngest clients, his son.  (image from the Barber Shops Instagram) 


So gents or ladies who want their man to have a decent hair cut pop down and visit Adi at the Barber Shop. He is down to earth and you can trust that he knows what he is doing.  You can make appointments or simply walk in. 


Store address: 
16 Lonsdale St Braddon - The Hamlet, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2612
Phone: 0403 935 877

Opening Hours:
Tuesday - Wednesday: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
Thursday 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sunday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm

Check them out on Facebook


Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar